Welcome to Behind the Panels Issue 100, the comic book show that’s had to come up with a hundred of these introductions. In this issue, we celebrate saying “in this issue” for the 100th time. THEN we report back live(ish) from Oz Comic-Con with an exclusive interview with Wolfgang Bylsma, Editor of Gestalt Publishing. AND David and Richard have seen 17 minutes of Guardians of the Galaxy. Oh we won’t tell you anything, we just wanted to you know that we have. ALSO new titles Grayson, New Suicide Squad, Death Vigil and more in What We’ve Been Reading. ADDITIONALLY it’s all-new creative teams for our favourite DC titles, Superman gets shrunk and Hannibal devours Powers. PLUS Our Kick-Ass Pick of the Week: An Exclusive Interview with the Earth 2 creative team of Tom Taylor and Nicola Scott. This is Behind the Panels.
Your Hosts: Richard Gray, David McVay and Dave Longo.
A trip down memory lane as you (may have) never heard it before
Super Friends (1973)
What We’ve Been Reading
This Week (9 July 2014): Grayson #1, New Suicide Squad #1, Death Vigil #1 (Image Comics), 100th Anniversary Special Spider-man #1, Spider-Man 2099 #1, United States of Murder Inc #3, Justice League United #3, Daredevil #5
What We’ve Been Watching
Guardians of the Galaxy (17 minute preview) – Richard and David went to a special IMAX presentation of footage from the forthcoming Marvel movie. (See also: Geek Movie Club Episode 18)
Live(ish) From Oz Comic-Con
Richard and David report back from Oz Comic-Con Melbourne (6-7 July) PLUS an exclusive interview with Wolfgang Bylsma, Editor of Gestalt Comics and reporting back from their Oz Comic-Con panel and forthcoming releases The Deep: Voyages of the Aronnax, Stalag X, Fly, Changing Ways Book 3, Flinch Volume 2
- Ann Nocenti and artist Trevor McCarthy will debut a new Klarion the Witch Boy series in October for DC Comics, a tale of pagan and technological magic set in Gotham City
- The Main Man gets the spotlight as DC debuts a Lobo ongoing series in October from writer Cullen Bunn and artist Reilly Brown
- Jason Aaron and artist Ron Garney team-up again in Men of Wrath, kicking off as a limited series in October for Marvel’s ICON imprint
- DC also plans to launch a new Trinity of Sin series in October from writer J.M. DeMatteis and artist Yvel Guichet. It will star Pandora, The Question and The Phantom Stranger
- Dark Horse will finally tell the story of Hellboy’s first mission in Hellboy & The BPRD. The wonderful Alex Maleev will provide the art for a story by Mike Mignola and John Arcudi
- DC Entertainments digital comics will add Arrow: Season 2.5 and The Flash: Season Zero in September, with print editions to follow in October when the shows resume on the CW
- Arrow producers Andrew Kreisberg and Ben Sokolowski will take over writing duties for DC’s main Green Arrow title in October. Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino will end their current run with September’s Green Arrow: Futures End #1
- Batgirl will also get a new creative team and a new lighter direction as writers Cameron Stewart and Brendan Fletcher and artist Babs Tarr taking over from October’s issue #35
- Rick Remender and Greg Tocchini will launch a new Image Comics sci-fi series called Low
- Former Superman Brandon Routh has been tapped to play Ray Palmer (aka The Atom) in the upcoming season of CW’s Arrow
- Meanwhile, Robbie Amell – the cousin of Arrow star Stephen Amell – has signed on to The Flash to play Ronnie Raymond, one half of the Firestorm team
- Hannibal director David Slade will direct the first two episodes of Powers for Sony’s streaming PlayStation Network
- DC sees more creative changes on Earth 2, as Nicola Scott departs the book after 2 years. Margueritte Bennet will join Tom Taylor as co-writer on Earth 2, with Andy Smith taking over Scott’s art duties. Scott says she will work on another small personal project, before “stepping into the world of Creator Owned for a while”.
Next (Issue 101): Fables: The Deluxe Edition Volume 1
Have you got something to say? We want to hear from you, send email to email@example.com or drop us a voicemail at Skype ID: geek actually and we’ll play it on the show.
If you are an iTunes user, subscribe for free here and please leave us feedback.
Join us on our new Facebook Fan Page, follow Geek Actually on Twitter @geekactually and follow David on Twitter @davidmcvay Find more by Richard Gray by visiting TheReelBits.com or follow him on Twitter @DVDBits Find more David Longo on Twitter @ at DamnGoodCup.com. Make sure you check out our range of Behind The Panels swag at cafepress.com.au/geekactually