In this issue, Comixology releases its comics from the shackles of digital rights management, and there was much rejoicing. THEN Ultron gets angrier, Tyler Durden is back, lots more Guardians of the Galaxy on the way and Saga wins everything at the Eisners. ALSO Groo gets incredibly meta, Year Zero finally ends and The Doctor regenerates into a comic book character in what we’ve been reader.
PLUS our Kick-Ass Pick of the Week: Locke & Key: Welcome to Lovecraft by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez. This is Behind the Panels.
Your Hosts: Richard Gray, David McVay & Dave Longo
What We’ve Been Reading
This Week (23 July 2014): Groo Vs. Conan #1 (Dark Horse), Batman #33 (DC Comics), Superman #33 (DC Comics), Star Spangled War Stories: G.I. Zombie #1 (DC Comics), Ragnorak #1 (IDW), Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #1 (IDW), Supreme Blue Rose #1 (Image), Saga #21 (Image), Revival #22 (Image), Storm #1 (Marvel), Daredevil #6 (Marvel), Doctor Who – The Tenth Doctor #1 (Titan), Doctor Who – The Eleventh Doctor #1 (Titan)
Next Week’s Highlights (30 July 2014): Deep Gravity #1 (Dark Horse), Bodies #1 (Vertigo), Justice League #32, Sandman: Overture #3, Vertigo Quarterly Magenta #1, Wake #10, Low #1 (Image – Rick Remender), Iron Man Special #1, Hawkeye #19
What We’ve Been Watching
Guardians of the Galaxy – Richard and Dave have seen the film. We hold back until next week, but let slip a few opinions. Sploosh.
- Marvel Studios has announced that a Guardians of the Galaxy sequel is bound for cinemas on 28 July 2017. It will be written and directed by James Gunn
- They also confirmed that Corey Stoll will join Ant-Man as Yellowjacket and Evangeline Lilly as Hope Van Dyne
- The 2014 Eisner Awards have been announced, with ‘Saga’ once again a clear leader, taking out awards for Best Continuing Series, with Brian K Vaughan and Fiona Staples also honoured. Sex Criminals was named Best New Series, and Australia’s All-Star Comics in Melbourne took out a Spirit Of Retailing Award!
- Marvel will begin releasing Star Wars comics from January 2015 set during the original trilogy. Creators include Jason Aaron, Kieron Gillen, Mark Waid, John Cassaday, Salvador Larocca and Terry Dodson.
- Image Comics has announced 12 new titles at the Image Expo, including the highly anticipated Tokyo Ghosts from Rick Remender, Sean Murphy and Matt Hollingsworth. Other major Image announcements include Kurt Busiek’s Tooth and Claw, Jeff Lemire and Dustin Nguyen’s Descender and Becky Cloonan’s Southern Cross
- Marvel has announced a new original graphic novel, Avengers: Rage of Ultron, for April 2015 from Rick Remender and Jerome Opena
- Comixology has announced that they will introduce DRM-free backups, both PDF and CBZ files, of the comics purchased from them. Image Comics, Dynamite Entertainment, MonkeyBrain Comics, Thrillbent, Top Shelf Productions and Zenescope Entertainment have opted in to the program so far.
- Chuck Palahniuk and Cameron Stewart will create Fight Club 2 for Dark Horse as a 10-issue mini-series from April 2015
- IDW has secured the licence to publish a series of comics based on the BBC America TV series Orphan Black.
- Sony has set aside 11 November 2016 for ‘Sinister Six’ and pegged ‘The Amazing Spider-Man 3′ for 2018
- American Mary directors Jen and Sylvia Soska have been tapped to helm the big screen adaptation of Painkiller Jane
- Marvel and Disney XD are brining a Guardians of the Galaxy animated series to TV in the very near future
- Universal Cable Productions has announced deals with Warren Ellis, Rick Remender and Frank J. Barbiere to adapt Night Mary, Five Ghosts and create an original series by Ellis
Talking Point: All those announcements
Kick-Ass Pick of the Week: Locke & Key: Welcome to Lovecraft by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez. This is Behind the Panels.
Next Week (103): Guardians of the Galaxy Film Special!!!
Your comments, your favourite episodes so far and good times for all.
Have you got something to say? We want to hear from you, send email to email@example.com or drop us a voicemail at Skype ID: geek actually and we’ll play it on the show.
If you are an iTunes user, subscribe for free here and please leave us feedback.
Join us on our new Facebook Fan Page, follow Geek Actually on Twitter @geekactually and follow David on Twitter @davidmcvay Find more by Richard Gray by visiting TheReelBits.com or follow him on Twitter @DVDBits Find more David Longo on Twitter @ at DamnGoodCup.com.
Make sure you check out our range of Behind The Panels swag at cafepress.com.au/geekactually