In this issue, The Greatest American Hero is set to return to television. We’re not sure if we believe it or not. ALSO Donald Glover is Spider-Man and we get outbid on eBay for Action Comics #1. THEN it’s the fate of Richard Rider, new series POP, Bob’s Burgers and Wayward and the latest in the Saga saga in What We’ve Been Reading.
PLUS our Kick-Ass Pick of the Week – Seconds, and original graphic novel by Bryan Lee O’Malley. This is Behind the Panels.
Special Announcement Redux
Behind the Panels will appear LIVE at Oz Comic-Con Sydney! You can find us on 13 and 14 of September at the Exhibition Centre on Glebe Island. With some special guests yet to be confirmed, we’ll do everything we’re doing here, except live (and in colour) for the first time. We hope to see as many of you there as possible! Find out more information at Oz Comic-Con’s events page. Tickets available at: www.ozcomiccon.com
ISIS (no the other one)
What We’ve Been Reading
This Week (27 August 2014): POP #1 (Dark Horse), Bob’s Burgers #1, Wayward #1 (Image – Jim Zub, Steven Cummings), Guardians of the Galaxy #18 (Richard Rider!), Saga #22, Groo vs. Conan #2, Bodies #2, Superman #34, Harley Quinn #10, Low #2
Next Week’s Highlights (3 September 2014): Cloaks #1 (Boom!), Grendel Vs The Shadow #1 (Dark Horse), Futures End (All DC), Names #1 (Peter Milligan), Alice Cooper #1, Silent Hill Downpour Anne’s Story #1 (Tristan Jones art), God Hates Astronauts #1, Death of Wolverine #1, Original Sin #8 ALSO: Legendary Star-Lord #3, Rocket Raccoon #3, Spider-Man 2099 #3
- Marvel will release the first of a series of Star Wars Legends Epic Collections, beginning reprints of some of the Dark Horse material
- Rila Fukushima is set to replace Devon Aoki as Katana on the third season of Arrow. Amy Gumenik will also join the cast as Cupid, while Nolan Funk will play Felicity’s former boyfriend.
- Dollhouse star Enver Gjokaj will play Agent Daniel Sousa in Marvel’s Agent Carter, while One Tree Hill star Chad Michael Murray will play Agent Jack Thompson
- Deadline reports that Phil Lord and Chris Miller have been tapped to reboot The Greatest American Hero for television
- Donald Glover gets to play Miles Morales/Spider-Man in upcoming episodes of Ultimate Spider-Man: Web Warriors, due to air next year
- Video game LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham gets a release date of 11 November in the US, following around the world on 14 November on most platforms
- Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy continues to break records, crossing the $500 million mark worldwide, and officially becoming the biggest box office hit of the year so far
- ‘Action Comics #1′ has sold on eBay for a record US $3.2 million, making it the most expensive comic ever. The new owners are Vincent Zurzolo and Stephen Fishler, owners of ComicConnect and the sellers of Nicolas Cage’s previous record-holding copy.
Kick-Ass Pick of the Week: Seconds by Bryan Lee O’Malley
Next Week (108): Fatale by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips
Have you got something to say? We want to hear from you, send email to email@example.com or drop us a voicemail at Skype ID: geek actually and we’ll play it on the show.
If you are an iTunes user, subscribe for free here and please leave us feedback.
Join us on our new Facebook Fan Page, follow Geek Actually on Twitter @geekactually and follow David on Twitter @davidmcvay Find more by Richard Gray by visiting TheReelBits.com or follow him on Twitter @DVDBits Find more David Longo on Twitter @ at DamnGoodCup.com.
Make sure you check out our range of Behind The Panels swag at cafepress.com.au/geekactually
Music used in this episode includes extracts from Sonny & Cher’s “I Got You Babe”, the Groundhog Day OST and Fleetwood Mac’s “Over and Over”.