In this issue, Channing Tatum is getting his own solo movie as Gambit. We can’t wait to see Jonah Hill as Wolverine. ALSO Scarlett Johannson is officially a Ghost in the Shell. We know she’s not the greatest actor, but that’s a little harsh. THEN it’s the tiny adventures of Ant-Man, the nutty outings of Squirrel Girl, the Agent Carter premiere and more in what We’ve Been Reading and Watching. ADDITIONALLY the Ant-Man teaser trailer gets the Trailer Commentary treatment.
PLUS Our Kick-Ass Pick of the Week: Civil War – A Marvel Comics Event. We’re back for 2015. This is Behind The Panels.
Your Hosts: Richard Gray, David McVay, and Dave Longo.
Je suis Charlie
Marvel Comic Book Store Ad (1990s)
What We’ve Been Reading
While We Were Gone: Transmetropolitan, Graveyard Shift #1 (Image), Theyre Not Like Us #1 (Image),
This Week (7 January 2015): The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #1, Ant-Man #1, Lady Killer #1, Operation S.I.N. #1
Next Week (14 January 2015): Mortal Kombat X #1 (DC), Jupiter’s Legacy #5 (9 months after #4!), Daredevil #1, Star Wars #1
What We’ve Been Watching
Agent Carter (2 hour premiere), Gotham (Mid-season premiere), Birdman
- Comics publisher IDW has acquired Top Shelf Productions, the home of such classics as League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, From Hell, Essex County and Blankets
- Marvel will kick off April with The Uncanny Inhumans, written by Charles Soule and with art from Steve McNiven
- Image Comics has announced a slew of new titles at the ImageExpo this week, including Savior by Brian Holguin, Todd McFarlane, and Clayton Crain; Injection, by Warren Ellis, Declan Shalvey, and Jordie Bellaire; Ludocrats by Kieron Gillen and David Fuente; and a second volume of Kelly Sue DeConnick’s Pretty Deadly. For full details of all titles, see the link in our show notes
- Fox has confirmed the release of a solo Gambit film on 7 October 2016, and will star Channing Tatum.
- Meanwhile, even though we are yet to see a photo, poster or even a logo for the Fantastic Four reboot, Fox has also moved the date of Fantastic Four 2 up to 2 June 2017
- Scarlett Johansson will star in the live action adaptation of Masamune Shirow’s Ghost in the Shell
- Guardians of the Galaxy has been nominated for the Writers Guild of America awards for Best Adapted Screenplay for James Gunn and Nicole Perlman
- Christophe Beck will provide the score for Marvel’s Ant-Man, while Marco Beltrami has been announced as the composer for the Fantastic Four reboot
- The Sydney cosplay community mourns the loss of Paul Kerr, an active member of Sydney’s Gothams Finest cosplay group, who was killed in a car accident in NSW this week
- Marvel’s Daredevil will debut on Netflix 10 April, with all 13 episodes to made available in all territories that have access to the platform. The remaining Marvel Netflix series will be released at yearly intervals following that.
Finally, Marvel unveiled the first teaser trailer for Peyton Reed’s Ant-Man this week. Following “ant” and “human sized” previews, the teaser debuted during Agent Carter. Guess what, kids? It’s time for our patented Trailer Commentaries (patent pending)
Kick-Ass Pick of the Week
Civil War (Marvel)
Next Week (125): Teen Titans: Earth One by Jeff Lemire
Have you got something to say? We want to hear from you, send email to email@example.com or drop us a voicemail on (02) 8011 4167 (or use Skype ID: geek actually) and we’ll play it on the show.
If you are an iTunes user, subscribe for free here and please leave us feedback.
Join us on our new Facebook Fan Page, follow Geek Actually on Twitter @geekactually and follow David on Twitter @davidmcvay Find more by Richard Gray by visiting TheReelBits.com or follow him on Twitter @DVDBits Find more David Longo at DamnGoodCup.com on Twitter @davelongo.
Make sure you check out our range of Behind The Panels swag at cafepress.com.au/geekactually
Music used in this episode includes Edwin Starr’s “War”, Alan Silvestri’s “The Avengers Theme”