In this issue, David Tennant joins the Marvel Cinematic Universe. That sound you hear is the Internet breaking under the strain. ALSO we all sit around and watch The Thing without pants in one of our trailer commentaries for Fantastic Four. THEN it’s Effigy, Multiversity, The Dying and the Dead, Justice League: Throne of Atlantis and more in What We’ve Been Reading and Watching.
PLUS our Kick-Ass Pick of the Week: KINGSMAN: THE SECRET SERVICE directed by Matthew Vaughn, and in cinemas from 20th Century Fox. This is Behind the Panels.
Your Hosts: Richard Gray, David McVay & Dave Longo
So you want to be a spy…
What We’ve Been Reading & Watching
Comics This Week (28 January 2015): Munchkin #1 (Boom!), Effigy #1 (Tim Seeley’s new Vertigo series), Harley Quinn #14, Multiversity Guidebook #1, Bitch Planet #2, Dying and the Dead #1 (Jonathan Hickman), Uncanny Avengers #1 (Rick Remender)
Watching: Agent Carter, Gotham, The Flash, Arrow, Constantine, Justice League: Throne of Atlantis
Next Week’s Highlights (4 February 2015): Cluster #1 (Boom! Studios), Goon: Once Upon A Hard Time (Dark Horse), Rat God (Dark Horse), Superman #38 (Conclusion of first Johns/Romita Jr arc), Nameless #1 (Grant Morrison), Postal #1, Saga #25, All New Captain America Fear Him #1, Guardians of the Galaxy & X-Men: Black Vortex Alpha #1, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #2, Ant-Man #2, Star Wars #2
- David Tennant has been cast as Zabediah Kilgrave (or The Purple Man) on Marvel’s AKA Jessica Jones for Netflix. Meanwhile, Australia’s Rachael Taylor will also join the show as Hellcat
- ‘Akira’ creator Katsuhiro Otomo has won France’s Angoulême Grand Prix, beating out Jeremiah artist Hermann and Watchmen writer Alan Moore
- Marvel adds Charles Soule’s Inhumans: Attilan Rising in May, launching the ongoing series under the Secret Wars: Battleworld banner
- 20th Century Fox is reportedly in negotiations with Marvel to bring X-Men to television
- Still at Fox, Colm Feore will join TV’s Gotham as Dr. Francis Dulmacher, better known as (you guessed it) The Dollmaker
- Mehcad Brooks has been cast to play James Olsen on the forthcoming Supergirl series for CBS
- DC announces two new Batman Unlimited animated movies, along with several 22 minute shorts, starring Batman, the Flash, Red Robin, Nightwing and Green Arrow.
- LEGO has announced that it will not only be releasing a Marvel’s Avengers game this year, but a new 3000 piece S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier set due out in March. Start saving your pennies, people.
- Sony Pictures has acquired the rights to produce Jeff Lemire’s Descender, a new sci-fi comic series due out in March from Image Comics
- And finally, after much speculation as to its existence, Fox finally released the first FANTASTIC FOUR trailer this week to a puzzled audience. Is it truly fantastic, or are things looking (wait for it) Grimm. Let’s find out in our patented Trailer Commentary (patent pending)
Kick-Ass Pick of the Week
KINGSMAN: THE SECRET SERVICE (Film Special)
Next Week (128): Aquaman: The Trench by Geoff Johns with SPECIAL GUEST: Louie Joyce
Have you got something to say? We want to hear from you, send email to email@example.com or drop us a voicemail on (02) 8011 4167 (or use Skype ID: geek actually) and we’ll play it on the show.
If you are an iTunes user, subscribe for free here and please leave us feedback.
Join us on our new Facebook Fan Page, follow Geek Actually on Twitter @geekactually and follow David on Twitter @davidmcvay Find more by Richard Gray by visiting TheReelBits.com or follow him on Twitter @DVDBits Find more David Longo at DamnGoodCup.com on Twitter @davelongo.
Make sure you check out our range of Behind The Panels swag at cafepress.com.au/geekactually
Music used in this episode includes Iggy Azalea’s “Heavy Crown” and Kula Shaker’s “Hush”