In this issue, Spider-Man joins the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Sony and Marvel have finally combined forces to break the Internet. THEN it’s Darth Vader, Empty, Divinity and The Walking Dead in What We’ve Been Reading and Watching.
PLUS our Kick-Ass Pick of the Week: WATSON AND HOLMES: A STUDY IN BLACK by Karl Bollers with art by Rick Leonardi and Larry Stroman. This is BEHIND THE PANELS: LIVE.
Your Hosts: Richard Gray, David McVay, Dave Longo and guest Jamie Lawrence (Good Games Hurstville)
What We’ve Been Reading/Watching
This Week (11 February 2015): Darth Vader #1, Empty #1, Divinity #1, Help Us! Great Warrior #1, Southern Bastards #7, Headspace #6
What We’ve Been Watching: The Walking Dead (S5 Mid-Season Return), Gotham
Next Week’s Highlights (18 February 2015): Plunder #1 (Boom!), EI8HT #1 (Rafael Albuquerque), The Multiversity: Mastermen #1, Pathfinder Origins #1, Robert Heinleins Citizen Of The Galaxy #1. Secret Identities (Brian Joines), Silk #1 (Marvel), And the title of the week award goes to….Monster Motors Curse Of Minivan Helsing #1 OR Thrilling Adventure Hour Presents Sparks Nevada Marshal On Mars #1
- SONY PICTURES ENTERTAINMENT and MARVEL STUDIOS officially announced this week that Sony is bringing Marvel into the amazing world of Spider-Man. Under the new deal, Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige will produce the next chapter in the Spider-Man franchise with Amy Pascal. Sony Pictures will release the next Spider-Man film on 28 July 2017. The new Spidey will first appear in Captain America: Civil War next year.
- As a result of the Spider-Man news, Marvel Studios has also pushed back the dates of Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther, Captain Marvel and Inhumans by a few months each.
- The Walking Dead returned to 15.6 million viewers this week, remaining the #1 show in the US amongst the 18-49 age bracket. With time-shifted playback added, that number should exceed 20 million
- Garth Ennis returns to Marvel in 2015 with artist Russ Braun for the Secret Wars tie-in Where Monsters Dwell, about a World War I fighter pilot battling dinosaurs. Sold.
- Jaimie Alexander will reprise her role as Lady Sif in another upcoming episode of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., this time without her trademark armour or memory
- Filmmaker and fellow podcaster Kevin Smith will voice M.O.D.O.K. in The Marvel Experience, an 80,000 square feet exhibition billed as the World’s First Hyper Reality Tour.
- Finally, The Walking Dead‘s Emily Kinney will join The Flash as the villainous Bug Eyed Bandit
That Sony deal, right?
Pick of the Week
WATSON AND HOLMES: A STUDY IN BLACK by Karl Bollers with art by Rick Leonardi and Larry Stroman.
Sir John Dee’s Choose Your Own X-Men Adventure and other audience feedback
To our guest Jamie Lawrence, Owner/Manager of Good Games Hurstville for the opportunity and the space to do this live show in store and his ongoing sponsorship of prizes and the show.
Next Week (130): Spider-Verse: A Marvel Comics Event
Have you got something to say? We want to hear from you, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop us a voicemail on (02) 8011 4167 (or use Skype ID: geek actually) and we’ll play it on the show.
If you are an iTunes user, subscribe for free here and please leave us feedback.
Check out our other fine podcast: Podcast Pillowfort.
Join us on our new Facebook Fan Page, follow Geek Actually on Twitter @geekactually and follow David on Twitter @davidmcvay Find more by Richard Gray by visiting TheReelBits.com or follow him on Twitter @DVDBits Find more David Longo at DamnGoodCup.com on Twitter @davelongo.
Make sure you check out our range of Behind The Panels swag at cafepress.com.au/geekactually
Music used in this episode includes “Murder Mystery” from (who else) Watson & Holmes, extracts from Hans Zimmer’s Sherlock Holmes score, samples from NWA’s “Straight Outta Compton” and “The Adventures of Wassup Holmes”