In this issue, Superman tempts children with his hot chocolate, and that’s not the only Sex Criminals on television. ALSO a brand new team-up series for DC, the Aurealis Award nominations and some kind of geek related challenge. THEN It’s The Black Hood, Suiciders, Spider-Gwen, Agent Carter and more in What We’ve Been Reading and Watching.
PLUS our Kick-Ass Pick of the Week: SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE VOLUME 3 by J. Michael Straczynski, and Ardian Syaf. This is BEHIND THE PANELS.
Your Hosts: Richard Gray and David McVay.
Vintage Clip of the Week
In which Superman lures unsuspecting children into his lair with the promise of hot beverages
What We’ve Been Reading/Watching
This Week (25 February): The Black Hood #1, Batman #39, Curb Stomp #1 (Boom! Studios), Suiciders #1 (Lee Bermejo), D4VE #1, Orphan Black #1, The Amazing Spider-Man #15, Spider-Gwen #1
Watching: The Flash (because we forgot to talk about it last week), The Walking Dead, Gotham, Arrow, Agent Carter (Season Finale)
Next Week’s Highlights: HaloGen #1, Con Job #1 (Jimmy Palmiotti), Neverboy #1, Green Arrow #40, Harley Quinn #15, Blackcross #1 (Warren Ellis), Big Man Plans #1 (Eric Powell), Descender #1 (Jeff Lemire/Dustin Nguyen), Nameless #2, Saga #26, All-New Hawekeye #1 (Jeff Lemire/Ramon K. Perez), Neverboy #1, Guardians Team-Up #1, Princess Leia #1
Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (mid-season return), Gotham, The Walking Dead, Arrow
- A new DC Comics team-up series starring Brandon Routh, Victor Garber, Wentworth Miller and Caity Lotz has been announced. Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg, Marc Guggenheim and Sarah Schechter are set to executive produce.
- Matt Fraction and Kelly Sue DeConnick have signed a two-year overall deal at Universal TV, bringing some of their creator owned shows to television starting with Sex Criminals.
- The nominations for Australia’s 2014 Aurealis Awards have been announced. For Best Graphic Novel/Illustrated Work, the shortlist includes Left Hand Path #1 (Winter City Productions), Awkwood (Milk Shadow Books), “A Small Wild Magic” (Candlewick Press), Mr. Unpronounceable and the Sect of the Bleeding Eye (Milk Shadow Books) and The Game (Deeper Meanings Publishing)
- Sega and Capcom characters will crossover in Archie Comics’ “Worlds Unite” event in May
- Vertigo will release a new Mad Max: Fury Road prequel comic with George Miller, Nico Lathouris and Mark Sexton writing, and Riccardo Burchielli, Leandro Fernandez, Tristan Jones, and Mark Sexton on art duties.
- Tom Ellis has landed the lead role in Fox’s Vertigo adaptation Lucifer
- Dean Caine and Helen Slater have been cast in unspecified roles in the upcoming Supergirl series. The show has also added Calista Flockhart as Cat Grant, “Homeland” star David Harewood as Hank Henshaw, Chyler Leigh as Alexandra “Alex” Danvers and Laura Benanti as Kara’s Kryptonian mother
Kick-Ass Pick of the Week
Superman Earth One: Volume 3
John Dee’s™ Geek Related Challenge…or something
This week’s challenge comes to us from John Dee, and is as follows:
Next Week (132): Starlight by Mark Millar and Goran Parlov
Have you got something to say? We want to hear from you, send email to email@example.com or drop us a voicemail on (02) 8011 4167 (or use Skype ID: geek actually) and we’ll play it on the show.
If you are an iTunes user, subscribe for free here and please leave us feedback.
Check out our other fine podcast: Podcast Pillowfort.
Join us on our new Facebook Fan Page, follow Geek Actually on Twitter @geekactually and follow David on Twitter @davidmcvay Find more by Richard Gray by visiting TheReelBits.com or follow him on Twitter @DVDBits Find more David Longo at DamnGoodCup.com on Twitter @davelongo.
Make sure you check out our range of Behind The Panels swag at cafepress.com.au/geekactually
Music used in this episode includes samples from Hans Zimmer’s Man of Steel score, The Kinks’ “(Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman” and Willie Nelson feat. Snoop Dogg “Superman”