In this issue, it’s Batman v Superman and Archie Vs Predator and Sharknado. One of them is a believable showdown, the other is directed by Zack Snyder. THEN it’s Fox, Chrononauts, lots more Convergence, a bunch of TV and more in What We’ve Been Reading and Watching.
PLUS: Our Kick-Ass Pick of the Week™: MARVEL’S DAREDEVIL: SEASON 1, and we’re joined by very special guest Ryan K. Lindsay to talk about the bingeable Netflix series. This is BEHIND THE PANELS.
Your Hosts: Richard Gray, David McVay, David Longo & Special Guest: Ryan K. Lindsay
From “Kingpinned” (Spider-Man ’67). Also: this photo Daredevil and Black Widow (Angela Bowie and Ben Carruthers) in 1975.
A fireside chat with Ryan K. Lindsay
We have a little chat with returning guest Ryan K. Lindsay about his upcoming projects, trademark a series of books with “space” in the title and shamelessly plug Ryan’s work. Better watch our for that beard so close to the flames, Ryan. Speaking of shameless plugging, Ryan would also like you to buy the following:
|HEADSPACE trade collection from IDW. Out 29 April in stores or via Amazon||NEGATIVE SPACE by Ryan. K. Lindsay and Owen Gieni. Out in July from Dark Horse. Pre-order it from your local comic book shop now! The preorder code is: MAY150012||THE DEVIL IS IN THE DETAILS (Sequart) by Ryan K.Lindsay (Editor). Buy from CreateSpace, Amazon,Kindle edition|
What We’ve Been Reading/Watching
This Week (15 April 2015): Fox #1, Archie Vs Predator #1, EI8HT #3, Convergence #2 and tie-ins, Chrononauts #2, RunLoveKill #1, 68 Bad Sign (One-Shot), Tithe #1
Watching: Agents of SHIELD, Arrow, The Flash, Gotham, iZombie
- The 2015 Ledger Awards were announced last weekend, with Jase Harper’s Awkward (which we covered in Issue 126 of the show) taking out a Gold Ledger, alongside Pinocchio from David Chauvel and Tim McBurnie. Dean Rankine’s Itty Bitty Bunnies in Rainbow Pixie Candy Land Save Xmas took out a Silver Ledger. A full list of winners can be found at ledgerawards.com or by following the link in our show notes.
- Tim Molly’s Mr Unpronounceable and the Sect of the Bleeding Eye for Milk Shadow Books has taken out Best Graphic Novel at the 2015 Aurealis Awards
- In the “other” Star Wars news this week, Lando Calrissian will get his own limited comic series from Marvel. Lando #1 will drop in July from creators Charles Soule and Alex Maleev
- The Preacher TV series has its Jesse Custer: Seth Rogen confirms via Twitter that Dominic Cooper has been cast as the lead in the upcoming AMC show
- Not a dream, not a hoax: Archie Vs Sharknado will be published by Archie Comics in July, the same day Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No! premieres on SyFy
- Kevin Feige has confirmed that the next Spider-Man film will star a teenage Peter Parker, but will not be an origin story
- Olivia Munn will join the cast of X-Men: Age of Apocalypse as Betsy Braddock (aka Psylocke)
- Robert Kirkman’s Skybound Production has signed a first-look deal with Universal
- Director Michelle McLaren has reportedly departed Warner’s Wonder Woman over “creative differences”. Warner has named Patty Jenkins, who once walked from Thor: The Dark World in similar circumstances, as the new helmer
- Captain America: Civil War has been announced as the first Marvel film with scenes that will be shot exclusively for the IMAX format
- Finally, another artist is sitting at the great convention in the sky tonight as the sad news that Herb Trimpe passed away at the age of 75. He most famously co-created Wolverine in the pages of The Incredible Hulk, along with the aforementioned Betsy Braddock and Marvel’s first G.I. Joe comic. Fired by Marvel in 1996, he wrote in the New York Times in 2000 that “Revenge is still in my heart.” After gaining a degree, he would teach art at a local New York school, before return to his signature character in 2008 Abomination story for Marvel. Marvel editor-in-chief Axel Alonso commented this week, “To me, no artist is as synonymous with the Incredible Hulk as Herb Trimpe, who gave the Jade Giant a sense of pathos and scale that set the bar for every artist that followed him. Like a Hulk-punch, Trimpe’s art truly exploded off the page. Comics lost a giant.”
Kick-Ass Pick of the Week
DAREDEVIL for Netflix
Next Week (139): Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron Movie Special
Have you got something to say? We want to hear from you, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop us a voicemail on (02) 8011 4167 (or use Skype ID: geek actually) and we’ll play it on the show.
If you are an iTunes user, subscribe for free here and please leave us feedback.
Check out our other fine podcasts: The Geek Actually Show & Podcast Pillowfort.
Join us on our new Facebook Fan Page, Find more by Richard by visiting TheReelBits.com or follow him on Twitter @DVDBits, and follow David on Twitter @davidmcvay Find more Dave at DamnGoodCup.com on Twitter@davelongo. Follow Geek Actually on Twitter @geekactually for all the network news.
Make sure you check out our range of Behind The Panels swag at cafepress.com.au/geekactually
Music used in this episode includes samples from John Paesano’s score to Marvel’s Daredevil.