In this issue, Grant Morrison announces he’ll write the origin story of Klaus Kinski. No wait, sorry. That’s “Klaus”. Grant Morrison is writing about Santa Claus. ALSO Marvel announces 45 new #1 issues for after Secret Wars. But it’s not a reboot. Definitely. Not. A. Reboot. THEN it’s Barb Wire, 8House, Onyx, Red Skull and more in What We’ve Been Reading.
PLUS our Kick-Ass Pick of the Week™: WE STAND ON GUARD #1 by Brian K. Vaughan, Steve Skroce and Matt Hollingsworth
Your Hosts: Richard Gray, David McVay & Dave Longo
In which we learn to be wary of strange dogs
What We’ve Been Reading
This Week’s Highlights (1 July 2015): The Spire #1, Barb Wire #1, 8House #1, We Stand On Guard #1 (KAPOW!), Red Skull #1, Secret Wars #4, Secret Origin: The Story of DC Comics (documentary)
Next Week: We’re having a week off, so who cares what’s out really? Saga or something we guess.
- Grant Morrison will tell the story of Santa Claus: Year One when he launches KLAUS with artist Dan Mora at BOOM! Studios in November. He describes the work as his “All-Star Santa Claus”
- Following on from last issue’s Kick-Ass Pick of the Week, Marvel has officially announced that Jim Starlin and Ron Lim will reunite in 2016 for THANOS: THE INFINITY FINALE
- At the Image Expo, it was announced that Brian K. Vaughan and Marcos Martin will write a THE WALKING DEAD story for their online Panel Syndicate. In return, Image will publish a print edition of their digital series The Private Eye
- At the same event, Bryan Lee O’Malley and artist Leslie Hung took the stage to announce their new project: SNOTGIRL.
- Image will also bring Greg Rucka and Nicola Scott’s BLACK MAGICK to readers in October, a project the two of them have been involved in for the better part of the last five years
- More Image Expo announcements included THE GODDAMNED, from Jason Aaron and Scalped collaborator R. M. Guéra. HEARTLESS from the Supreme Blue Rose team of Warren Ellis and Tula Lotay and HUCK from Mark Millar and Rafael Albuquerque
- The Guardians of the Galaxy sequel will officially be titled GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY: VOL. 2 and is due out in 2017
- Tokyo Pop, one of the largest publishers of manga in the US, has announced its return after shutting down operations in 2011. They will feature at the upcoming Anime Expo and Comic-Con International in San Diego
- Marvel has revealed 45 of its post-Secret Wars titles, including Contest of Champions, Karnak, Extraordinary X-Men and Old Man Logan. We go a little deeper in this week’s Talking Point.
Kick-Ass Pick of the Week™
WE STAND ON GUARD #1 byBrian K. Vaughan, Steve Skroce and Matt Hollingsworth
Good Games Hurstville Presents: Quiz Corner
This week’s questions come from the Marvel Trivia Game
Next Issue (148): Ant-Man (Film Special)*
*NB: We’re taking a week off the show. Our next episode will be released in the week starting 19 July 2015. Try to hold on without us.
If you are an iTunes user, subscribe for free here and please leave us feedback.
Join us on our new Facebook Fan Page, Find more by Richard by visiting TheReelBits.com or follow him on Twitter @DVDBits, and follow David on Twitter @davidmcvay Find more Dave at DamnGoodCup.com on Twitter@davelongo. Follow Geek Actually on Twitter @geekactually for all the network news.
Make sure you check out our range of Behind The Panels swag at cafepress.com.au/geekactually
Music used in this episode includes excerpts from the Canadian National Anthem and Canadian progressive rock group Rush’s “The Weapon”