So another Comic-Con International in San Diego has come and gone, and whether you could be there or not, the Monday following such an event should be declared a geek public holiday. The sheer amount of news leading up to and coming out of the ‘Con is a little hard to digest, so we’ve made it easy for you by summarising some of our favourite stories coming out of the last week or so.
Links are provided to the full stories, so happy reading! You can find our complete SDCC 2013 coverage here.
- The 2013 Eisner Awards were announced Saga was a big winner with Best Continuing and New Series, along with a Best Writer nod for Brian K. Vaughan. David Aja took out multiple awards for his word as the Hawkeye penciller/inker and cover artist, the former of which he deservedly tied with Daredevil‘s Chris Samnee. The full list of winners can be found here.
- Marvel are releasing something called Revolutionary War, a limited series written by Andy Lanning and Alan Cowsill,in January 2014. It promises a return of Marvel UK characters and the Marvel UK imprint. Check out the details at Marvel’s site, and the teaser image on the right.
- Kieron Gillen and Adam Kubert will team up from November for Wolverine: Origin II, a sequel to the 2002 mini-series series.
- Gail Simone is coming on board to write a new Tomb Raider comic book series for Dark Horse. It will serve as a canon story between the current Tomb Raider game and its forthcoming sequel.
- Cataclysm: The Ultimates Last Stand is another Marvel event! This one was teased at the end of Age of Ultron, as Galactus hovered over the Ultimate Universe’s Miles Morales (aka Ultimate Spider-man)
- Marvel promises more Marvel NOW! #1s in 2014, a Deadpool vs Carnage crossover series and the return of Marvelman.
- Marvel will launch two new X-Men series: Amazing X-Men by Jason Aaron and artist Ed McGuinness, and Longshot Saves The Marvel Universe by Hastings and artist Jacopo Camagni.
- DC Comics will launch a new Harley Quinn series from DC in November, dynamic duo of a creative team that is Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner. According to the DC panel, 18 artists are said to be used during the first issue, as Quinn auditions artists to draw her biography.
- IDW will republish Sam Kieth’s groundbreaking The Maxx series in original single-issue formats, as fully re-mastered and re-colored printings of the classic stories. They will also reissue hardovers and an oversized artists edition.
- IDW Publishing will also adapt Hunter S. Thompson’s novel Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas into a graphic novel
- Dynamite has got the rights to Robotech, and will be releasing Robotech/Voltron a crossover comic with Voltron for the latter’s 30th anniverary
- You may have heard: summer 2015 will bring a Superman/Batman film from director Zack “Snack” Snyder and writer David S. Goyer. Full press release here.
- Joss Whedon announced the title of the Avengers sequel will be Avengers: Age of Ultron. He later revealed it will not be based on the mini-series of the same name, but be an ‘origin of Ultron’ story without Hank Pym.
- Sony Pictures showed first promo video for The Amazing Spider-man 2 was released at the ‘Con. It showcases a first look at Electro, played by Jamie Foxx.
- Fox revealed the full cast and plot details of X-Men: Days of Future Past. Wolverine is sent to the past in his own body, where he encounters a different Charles Xavier (James McAvoy), President Nixon, a secret door in the Oval Office and Bishop (played by Omar Sy). A viral campaign also began with www.trask-industries.com
- Marvel studios announced most of the cast of Guardians of the Galaxy. It will feature Michael Rooker as Yondu, Djimon Hounsu as Korath (an ally to Ronan and Thanos), Lee Pace as Ronan, Karren Gillan as Nebula, Beneicio Del Toro as the Collector, Dave Bautista as Drax, Zoe Saldana as Gamora and Chris Pratt as Star-Lord. Some footage was also shown, an from reports it seemed to be a prisoner loading scene similar to Annihilation: Conquest. Some new concept art and an official press release was also issued.
- Tom Hiddleston appeared in full Loki costume to greet crowds. See below.
- The first extended trailer for Arrow: Season 2 was released, and the announcement that Caity Lotz will be playing Dinah Drake/Black Canary. It has also been revealed that Bronze Tiger and Sebastian Blood, played by Michael Jai White and Kevin Alejandro respectively.
- An extended trailer for The Walking Dead: Season 4 was released online. It shows some new characters, shifting allegiances and troubling brewing is cellblock D for our intrepid band of survivors.
- Cobie Smulders will appear in several episodes of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., including the pilot. The show debuts on 24 September. New photos were released follow’s the SDCC 2013 debut of the pilot.